Last updated: October 28th, 2022
This page is used to inform website visitors regarding our policies with the collection, use, and disclosure of Personal Information if anyone decided to use our Service.
For a better experience while using our Service, we may require you to provide us with certain personally identifiable information, including but not limited to your first and last name, email address and phone number. This information is only required for any agency or organization that seeks to use the Service to send alerts as described on knownow/app/sendalerts and knownow.app/community. Only an email address or phone number is required for validation purposes when creating an account on the Service.
We use personal information for the following purposes or as otherwise described at the time we collect it:
Establishing and developing Groups
We use personal information to identify and invite potential new members to the Service, and to set up new Groups. For example, you can ask us to send invitations to potential new members and reminders on your behalf, send direct e-mail invitations, invite your friends, or notify you when we start offering the Service to your geographic location.
Setting you up on the Service
To get members started on the Service, we use personal information to:
- Confirm member accounts by employing several techniques, including checks against third party data and public records, verification codes, or geo-verification. We also use public registries to block registered sex offenders in the United States (and other countries where permitted by law) from signing up for the Services. In some circumstances, we may ask for additional information (such as government-issued identification and business documentation) to confirm member accounts.
- Notify members of Groups of new members as they join the Group.
- Populate member profiles and personalize the Service.
Scope of License to Use the Service
The Company grants You a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, revocable license to use the Service for personal informational purposes. All information provided by the Service is sourced from a variety of federal, state and private entities, as well as private individuals. The Company is not responsible for the accuracy of the information and these resources are liable to change without notice.
The Service also includes a “Map” tab. Data on this map is derived from third-party sources and the Company is therefore not responsible for positional inaccuracies, subsequent updates, errors or omissions of data.
Provide and improve the Service
We use both manual and automated systems to analyze and use your information, including:
- To contact you with newsletters, surveys, marketing material, product documentation or other customer service functions that may be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving any or all communications by clicking on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of every email that we send.
- To operate the Service, create Groups, suggest Groups, provide premium access to Groups, invite members, and improve our products and features.
- To help you create, publish, view, share, and respond to content, including highlighting interesting Alerts.
- To highlight Groups, topics or other Media.
- To personalize your experience.
- To understand the trends, usage statistics, and demographic data of the Users and Groups we serve.
- To test and evaluate potential new products and features on the Service.
- To diagnose and resolve problems, analyze trends, and monitor usage and resource needs.
- To facilitate sending Alerts.
Create and maintain a trusted environment
We may use your information to help create and maintain a trusted environment on the Service, including:
- To detect and prevent fraud, spam, abuse, security incidents, and other harmful, unauthorized, unethical or illegal activity.
- To conduct security investigations, audits and risk assessments.
- To comply with our legal obligations.
- To confirm or authenticate information or identification.
Research and Development
We may use your personal information for research and development purposes. As part of these activities, we may create aggregated, de-identified and/or other anonymous data from personal information we collect. We make personal information into anonymous data by removing information that makes the data personally identifiable to you. We may use this anonymous data and share it with third parties for our lawful business purposes, including to analyze and improve the Services and promote our business.
We may employ third-party companies and individuals due to the following reasons:
- To facilitate our Service;
- To provide the Service on our behalf;
- To perform Service-related services; or
- To assist us in analyzing how our Service is used.
We want to inform users of our Service that these third parties may have access to your Personal Information. The reason is to perform the tasks assigned to them on our behalf. However, they are obligated not to disclose or use the information for any other purpose.
The Service uses Google Analytics to help analyze how users use the Service.
The tool uses “cookies,” which are text files placed on your computer, to collect standard Internet log information and visitor behavior information in an anonymous form.
The information generated by the cookie about your use of the website (including your IP address) is transmitted to Google. This information is then used to evaluate visitors’ use of this Service and to compile statistical reports on website activity.
We will never (and will not allow any third party to) use the statistical analytics tool to track or to collect any personally identifiable information of visitors to our site. Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google. Neither we nor Google will link, or seek to link, an IP address with the identity of a computer user.
By using this Service, you consent to the processing of data about you by Google in the manner and for the purposes set out above.
Your Choices Regarding Cookies
If you do not accept Our Cookies, you may experience some inconvenience in your use of the Service and some features may not function properly.
- For the Chrome web browser, please visit this page from Google: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32050
- For the Internet Explorer web browser, please visit this page from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278835
- For the Firefox web browser, please visit this page from Mozilla: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/delete-cookies-remove-info-websites-stored
- For the Safari web browser, please visit this page from Apple: https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/manage-cookies-and-website-data-sfri11471/mac
For any other web browser, please visit your web browser’s official web pages, pages of our Service that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, and other statistics.
European Users’ Rights with Respect to Personal Data under General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
Some data protection laws, including the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”), provide you with certain rights in connection with Personal Data you have shared with us. If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you may have certain data protection rights.
If you wish to be informed what Personal Data we hold about you and if you want it to be removed from our systems, please contact us.
In certain circumstances, you have the following data protection rights:
- The right of access. You are entitled to request, at any time, a copy of any Personal Data that we may possess about you.
- The right to rectification. You have the right to have your information rectified if that information is inaccurate or incomplete.
- The right to erasure. You are entitled to request, at any time, that we erase your Personal Data from our system.
- The right to restrict processing. You have the right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal information.
- The right to data portability. You have the right to a “portable” copy of your Personal Data that you have submitted to us. This means that you have the right to request a copy of your Personal Data in a commonly-used and easy-to-read format.
- The right to object. You have the right to object (or opt out) to our processing of your Personal Data.
- Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling. You have the right not to be subject to a decision based entirely on automated processing that produces a legal or similar effect on you.
Please note that we may ask you to verify your identity before responding to such requests.
You have the right to complain to a Data Protection Authority about our collection and use of your Personal Data. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority in the European Economic Area (EEA).
California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (CCPA)
If you are a California resident, this section applies to you. This section describes how we collect, use, and share your personal information in our capacity as a “business” under the CCPA, and the rights that you have with respect to your personal information. For purposes of this section, “personal information” has the meaning given in the CCPA, but does not include information excluded from the CCPA’s scope.
The following rights are not absolute and are subject to exceptions, and we may be required or permitted by law to decline your request. We cannot process your request if you do not provide us with sufficient detail to allow us to understand and respond to it. You may make any of the following requests by submitting a request via the details in the “Contact Us” section of this document.
- Access categories of information. You may request the following information about how we have collected and used your personal information during the past 12 months:
- the categories of personal information we have collected about you;
- the categories of sources from which we collected the personal information;
- the business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling the personal information;
- the categories of third parties with whom we share the personal information;
- the categories of personal information that we sold or disclosed for a business purpose; and
- the categories of third parties to whom the personal information was sold or disclosed for a business purpose.
- Access. You can see much of your personal information by logging into your account. You may request a copy of the personal information we have collected about you during the past 12 months by submitting a request.
- Deletion. You can remove most content you have posted to the Service by submitting a request.
- Opt-out of sales. We use services that help deliver interest-based ads to you, which enable us to provide the Services and relevant offers to you. Our use of these services may be classified under the CCPA as a “sale” of your personal information to the advertising partners that provide the services because they collect information from our users to help them serve ads more likely to interest you. You can request to opt-out of this “sale” of your personal information by submitting a request.
- Nondiscrimination. You are entitled to exercise your rights described above free from discrimination as prohibited by the CCPA.
- Requests by authorized agents. Your authorized agent may make a request for information, access, and deletion on your behalf upon our verification of the agent’s identity and our receipt of a copy of valid power of attorney given to your authorized agent pursuant to California Probate Code Sections 4000-4465. If you have not provided your agent with such a power of attorney, you must provide your agent signed permission to exercise your CCPA rights on your behalf, provide the information we request to verify your identity, and provide us with written confirmation that you have given the authorized agent permission to submit the request. Authorized agents are required by California law to implement and maintain reasonable security procedures and practices to protect their clients’ information.
- Verifying requests for information, access, and deletion. We will need to verify your identity to process your information, access and deletion requests and reserve the right to confirm your California residency. You can verify your identity by submitting a request. We may verify your identity by requiring you to provide government identification, give a declaration as to your identity under penalty of perjury, reply to a text message sent to the phone number we have in our records, and/or provide additional information.
California’s Shine the Light Law
Under California’s Shine the Light law (California Civil Code Section 1798.83), California residents may ask companies with whom they have formed a business relationship primarily for personal, family or household purposes to provide the names of third parties to which they have disclosed certain personal information (as defined under the Shine the Light law) during the preceding calendar year for their own direct marketing purposes and the categories of personal information disclosed. You may send us requests for this information to CentrAlert, Inc., 3090 Harrodsburg Road, Suite 202, Lexington, KY, 40503, United States, Attention: Chief Legal Officer. In your request, you must include the statement “Shine the Light Request,” and provide your first and last name and mailing address and certify that you are a California resident. We reserve the right to require additional information to confirm your identity and California residency. Please note that we will not accept requests via telephone, email, or facsimile, and we are not responsible for notices that are not labeled or sent properly, or that do not have complete information.
Direct Marketing and “Do Not Track” Signals
The Company does not track its customers over time and across third-party websites to provide targeted advertising and therefore does not respond to Do Not Track (DNT) signals. However, some third-party sites do keep track of your browsing activities when they serve you content, which enables them to tailor what they present to you. If you are visiting such sites, your browser may include controls to block and delete cookies to allow you to opt out of data collection through those technologies. The Company does not disclose any personal information to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes.
We value your trust in providing us your Personal Information, thus we are striving to use commercially acceptable means of protecting it. But remember that no method of transmission over the internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure and reliable, and we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Links to Other Sites
If you use a third-party, like Facebook, Google, or Apple to log in to the Service (or later connect your third-party account to your Service account), then you authorize the third-party to share your personal information with us, including your name, photo, email address, and any other information you agree to share.
If you make a payment either to or through the Service, then you are providing our third-party payment processors with your payment card details and other payment information in order to complete the transaction.
Retention of Personal Information
We keep your personal information for no longer than necessary for the purposes for which it is processed. The length of time for which we retain personal information depends on the purposes for which we collected and use it and/or as required to comply with applicable laws as set out in our data retention policy and information handling standards. Where there are technical limitations that prevent deletion or anonymization, we safeguard personal information and limit active use of it
Our Services do not address anyone under the age of 18. We do not knowingly collect personal identifiable information from children under 18. In the case we discover that a child under 18 has provided us with personal information, we immediately delete this from our servers. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your child has provided us with personal information, please contact us so that we will be able to do necessary actions.
By continuing to access or use the Service after those revisions become effective, you agree to be bound by the revised terms. If you do not agree to the new terms, in whole or in part, please stop using the Service.
- By email: [email protected]
- By phone: 859.224.1047
- By mail: 3090 Harrodsburg Road, Suite 202, Lexington, KY, 40503, United States